Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Discussion Reflection: Having a website for the Library


On the discussion board we had an interesting and thought provoking discussion about websites for the library. It was agreed by many that websites are important for libraries although some thought that it wasn’t essential for elementary schools. I feel that it is important for our school to have a webpage even though it is elementary because it is a great way to connect users with literature and all the great things happening in the library. One of the things that came up was the time it takes to create a website. Jody greed with me that it should be a process not just something that is created as an end product. It is something that will take a lot of time to develop and will grow gradually, bit by bit. Lisa brought up the question about how do you create time for all of the tasks required in the library. Do you build it into your work day or do it after school? I would like to devote most of my free time during the day to collaborative work but have to keep in mind that really there should also be some time built in for prep and admin work, such as ordering, organizing, and weeding books. I tend to work too hard and I think a balance needs to be maintained in the schedule so that things don’t get ignored due to lack of time. However, I would hate to miss out on the opportunity to work collaboratively because of administrative work. I know that I will do most of the administrative work (including working on the website) after school.


I agree with Christa that having a website for the school library is essential no matter what grade level the school is. She mentioned that we are living in a digital world of 21st century learners. I think that 21st century learners are becoming so comfortable going online that a website just seems like a logical step for a library in the facilitation of information. I think it is a great way to stay connected to your users. She mentioned that having a webpage is a great way to encourage parents to be involved in their child’s education and I think making sure to have links which foster academic success will be important!

I agree that the library website is a great way to facilitate research skills. It is a great way to promote the use of the online resources the school district has to offer. The library website has the potential to lead students in the direction of finding useful resources in their quest for information. The librarian has the knowledge of what the students of all ages are learning and so who better to maintain a website than the TL?

A website is an extremely time consuming thing to create but very worthwhile. I liked the advice she discovered about starting small. It is extremely important to think of it as a process, rather than a finished product. The website should and will grow and evolve over time and I think it is important to start off with manageable pieces. I wouldn’t want to rush it and load it up with links that are less than ideal. I would rather have a few really useful and relevant links than a bunch of links that looks impressive but not really useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment